Sunday, October 18, 2009

PERSEPOLIS


Persepolis is an autobiographical graphic novel by MARJANE SATRAPI depicating her childhood in Iran during the Revolution. The title is after the historical town called Persepolis.


My friend gave me the book and said it was a great read and after reading the book, I have to say that I agree.

The whole revolution is seen through the eyes of the child who is suddenly forced to change the ways of her life. It is sad yet when we see it from the eyes of a child, all we can see is the bewilderment and frustration at not being allowed to live the way she wants to.

As the book progresses, one can see the different emotions which the child feels. Her strong desire to become a prophet changes completely in the background of the changing political scenario. In its place comes the desire to overthrow the evil shah who was turning their lives upside down. As time passes, the atrocities committed on the people becomes common knowledge. One particular scene was extremely tragic when Satrapi hears that there has been bombing in her area. She comes running home only to find out that her neighbour's building has been bombed. Just when she and her mother were contemplating whether or not their neighbours might be at home, satrapi sees the bracelet which her neighbour (Neda) wears. Before her mother could react, she went to pull that bracelet only to find a hand attached to it under all the ruins. Her scream exploded in my ears too. The fact is that we can only empathize to an extent. The horror that particular incident will always be written on HER mind.

The book is a marvellous description of the tragic events which shook the whole population of Iran. Because the book is through a child's eye, the enormity and significance of those events are both dulled and magnified at the same time.

An amazing book and a must read.

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Is it a true story? I've not read a graphic novel, but this one sounds very interesting.

TheChicGeek said...

Wow, this sounds amazing! Wonderful review. I will have to read this one.

I wanted to thank you for visiting me and leaving your kind words and well wishes for my birthday and vacation! It was wonderful to see you at my blog! Don't be such a stranger...it is so lovely to visit you!

Wishing you Great Happiness Today and Always!

Hugs :D

Kelly

TheChicGeek said...

PS: Your banner is Beautiful! I love it!

Linan said...

:DDD thanks for commenting!! comments like that are exactly what i needed to keep writing!

you ess pork = uspork = what i'm known online hahahah.. nothing to do with H1N1.

Subhanjan said...

Nice blog Deboshree. Bhalo legeche. I am glad you liked my blog too. I have left that blog for quite some time. Someday I will get back to it. But I do not know when. I am also glad you liked my photography. I am in Delhi these days. So my photography has come to a halt. Because I do not know this city. Abr suru krte hobe. Ta tumi kemon acho? Bhalo to?

Regards,

Subhanjan

Deboshree said...

Yes Nancy, it is a true life story..based on the author's experiences. Apparently, there are many more parts. I have to find a way to read them!

Love
Deboshree

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comment and taking the time to stop by, your always welcome.

John said...

I agree with Kelly. Your blog headers are just so beautifully done and designed, not to mention all the time (and love) that went into it :)