Sunday, November 15, 2009

WORKING FOR A BETTER TOMORROW


I live in a country where the poor people outnumber the rich ones, the urban class is oblivious to the turmoils of the rural class or perhaps prefer to stay in oblivion.
There are thousands of slums in our country with the majority of the children not going to schools. Not because the parents can't afford it but because there aren't enough people to make them UNDERSTAND.

I am a college going student involved in Social Work and a few days ago I actually entered a slum and saw from close quarters what was the living condition of the people who inhabited it. It wasn't a pleasant sight, to say the least. The sewage system was bad and you could see dirty water flowing everywhere, entering the tiny shacks when it rained too much. I looked into one of the houses and it was not more than 6x6 feet. I could see 7-8 people crammed inside. That is the condition they live in. No sewage system along with no hygiene in the area.
I wish I could put up some pictures to give you guys a better understanding of how it was. But I guess that will have to wait.

Along with that, we went to a construction site where migrant labourers lived with their children. Since they have to migrate every few months or years, they never get their children enrolled. That is where we are needed. To teach children who don't even know the meaning of education. But we had encountered a problem in that site. Majority of the labourers were Bengali and were hostile towards us. When one Hindi speaking labourer went on our behalf, they ouright refused, misunderstanding our offer. They thought we would charge them but fortunately, I'm a Bengali too!! After speaking to them and reassuring them that we would charge no money and would come to THEM, they agreed!

And hurray for that!!

We have launched 2 new projects. The project in the slum area has been named ABHILASHA which means WISH DESIRE. In this context it implies the desire to change the present condition of the children and help them in shaping a new tomorrow . The other project in the construction site (which I am really looking forward to) is named PEHAL, which means INITIATIVE in the Indian sense.

The fact is that there is a lot of work to be done and most of it will be hard. But the truth is that there is a solution for everything and I'm not saying this because I'm simply idealistic. We met a teacher who has been teaching the slum children for more than 10 years without any help from any NGO. It was he who told us that things can be difficult but if we have the right attitude and patience, things will happen.

So that is what we are working towards.....TO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN.

For anyone who is interested in reading what we do, please follow this link. It's the link to our first project named AASHAYEIN which means HOPE-

http://aidaashayein.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

epasen said...

I don't know what to say. You're amazing. I thought I've done my share by having a sponsored child through World Vision in Colombia.. My parents have one in India too, but this is something different. I'm so glad you have a chance and a will to do something like that. Love, Emmi

Nancy said...

Thank you so much for this very inspiring post. It does my heart good to see young people, such as yourself, changing the world. And you are changing the world, believe me. You are our future. We are ONE.

Ranjit said...

I must appreciate your endeavour to live a meaningful life and be a helping hand for others. It's truly God's desire to be a good human being first, anything else afterwards.

You have a decent blog which shows the beauty and clarity of one's thoughts. Some People keep on thinking for doing some good creative jobs, but they seldom find time and make it happen.Your blog has the inspiring message for others to join this noble path and I have the commitment for the same.

RANJIT
ranjit1955@gmail.com

Seraphine said...

i don't think people are so much unaware of the poverty around them as they are powerless to do anything about it. the sheer number of poor people overwhelm the imagination and the resources of most individuals.
but there is much that can be done, and you are amazing for finding your way to make a difference. education is supremely important; sharing knowledge is like sharing gold.
best wishes.

Ladybird World Mother said...

You are amazing. Here am I in my warm house surrounded by nice things... and there are you making a real mark on real people. FANTASTIC! Inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

GYPSYWOMAN said...

what can i say? very little - as words truly are inadequate! how caring and generous and beautiful of you and your group and what a difference you each and collectively are making in the lives of so many - and it truly is heart warming, as nancy says, to see such things! you are to be more than commended! you are our future - we ARE one! [to quote again from nancy] -

namaste' -
jenean

Deboshree said...

Thank you so much!
Your words warm my heart and make me believe that we can actually make a difference.
Thank you so much for your support.
WE ARE ONE.

Lots of love
Deboshree

Anonymous said...

What an outstanding way to impact your community and your country. I wish you and your collegues the best of luck with this endeavor.